Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Running With Scissors: Opening Ceremony Cutout Dress 1/2 Off


I've been a little bit obsessed with Ugly Betty lately. I've had a thing for Eric Mabius way back since Welcome To The Dollhouse, and call me a sucker, but the season three reluctant bonding between Amanda, Marc and Betty is really getting to me. The main reason, however, is Vanessa Williams' incredible wardrobe, which keeps getting more and more over the top as the season goes on. Barring a few missteps (the silver dress she wore in the roof party episode looked like it had a board nailed across the bodice), she's the most stylish villainess since Cruella Deville.

If your trend watching is limited to following Wilhelmina Slater, as mine has been of late as I catch up on some other areas of my writing, you'll notice that cutout dresses are making a comeback. This is a trend from the 80's, but unlike some other similar trends that are making me break out in hives just thinking about them-- stirrup pants? JUMPSUITS? If I ever see Wilhelmina wearing a jumpsuit I'll eat my right hand-- this look is actually wearable and sexy.

Here's a great version from Opening Ceremony at Twenty Thirty Forty, my new favorite online boutique, on sale for half off and a true bargain at only $138. The reason this dress is killah is because it's subtle, timeless, and could serve as an LBD. Even better, it truly could be worn in all four seasons, even summer, depending on how you accessorize it and how much air conditioning there is in the places you hang out. I would buy this dress for a power lunch at NINETHIRTY, pair it with some big black glasses and strappy sandals, and feel like the movie star my mom always told me I was.

No comments: