Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fashion Yarn at a Discount


Okay, Hieu has kicked my butt today (we're into RPGs around here and he's being Peter Parker's boss-- you should see me in a Spidey costume!) by reminding me I haven't posted in, well, forever. It's hard writing about fashion in this economy...right now even my O's are recycled (my keyboard is broken, so every time I need one I have to Control V). But the truth is that it IS still possible to be stylish even in the midst of a depression. So this week Ten Pretty Girls (which may need to be renamed One Pretty Girl and a Hot Vietnamese Guy?) is featuring style on an EXTREME low budget.


My grandm
other and her sisters used to unravel sweaters and knit them over again to have something new to wear. Let's face it, most of us don't have the patience for that, but you can still get the same effect, kind of, by buying deeply discounted designer yarn.

One of the best sources for chic yarn at a heavily discounted price is Sumptuous Yarn Sale. This site offers real designer yarn at astounding discounts. For example, right now Plymouth Yarn's Glitterlash, which is normally $85 a bag, is marked down to $21.25 per bag...that's 10 balls, people, at $2.12 per ball! (Hey Hieu, want me to teach you to crochet?) Other sites sell it for $10.00 a bag, so it's a really good deal, and how else can you have your own Italian designer sweater for under $25?

If y
ou're not creative enough to come up with your own design, you can go to Knitting Pattern Central or Crochet Pattern Central for free patterns/ideas. (Search the term eyelash yarn-- they're interchangeable, you don't need to find a pattern with this exact yarn.) And if you don't know how to knit or crochet, now is a good time to learn. After all, we've all got to come up with some way to spend our time now that we can no longer afford to shop.

No comments: