Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Screamer of the Week: Short City Romper from Metrostyle


Somehow I started receiving the Metrostyle catalog recently-- I think it had something to do with placing an order from Boston Proper, otherwise known as the catalog for women who favor low-cut tops. I flipped through it distractedly while waiting to pick my daughter up from the bus, and found most of the items to be cute and cheap-- an H&M for the catalog set, if you will. However, there was one piece that really stood out, and not in a good way.

This "Short City Romper" is truly a one of a kind piece. Where else can you find a bustier-bodiced unitard in black eyelet lace, no less? For a mere $59.99 you too can look like you made a combination hooker/workout outfit out of curtains from a Goth baby's nursery. The ad copy in the catalog trumpets that it has a removable waist tie for two different looks! (Exclamation point theirs, not mine.)

"Screamer of the Week" will be a new regular feature at Ten Pretty Girls, so in honor of the first post in this category (which is going to be a hard one to top!), here's a contest to get us started: the first one who can tell me what the origin of the phrase "Screamer Of The Week" is will win a $25 e-gift certificate to Sephora.com. Here are a couple of hints: (a) the phrase was originally meant in a positive way and (b) the place where it came from can be found on my Facebook profile. Place your answers in the comment section and be sure to include your e-mail address.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! How funny is this outfit!!! I got the same catalog last week and wondered how I got it since I would *not* wear most of those things and while I can fit into them, they wouldn't look right on me.
Hookeresque-- I don't want to be walking through Bev Hills to Hollywood area wearing that!!

Nancy said...

That's what's so odd about this outfit...it somehow manages to be simultaneously hookeresque and goofy. It's slutty but not sexy, because it's so dumb looking! And I don't think it's just you-- I can't imagine that outfit looking right on anyone.

I also should have noted that the catalog FEATURED this outfit on the front cover. Yes, this is the look they chose to best represent themselves!

beesknees7 said...

"Screamer of the Week": a promotion run by the radio station WLIR-FM that had listeners call in and vote for their favorite songs. And, apparently, this station was also a trendsetter. (Thank you, Wikipedia!)


I followed a link from the blog at LA-Story.com because I love me some trivia. I definitely don't love me some hideous rompers. Goofy is totally the right word for that thing!


gr11781[at]gmail.com

Nancy said...

Yay Agatha! You are the winner, congratulations! Look for a Sephora.com e-gift certificate in your in-box later tonight.

It warms my heart to hear Wikipedia has an entry on WLIR!

beesknees7 said...

Nancy, I just received the gift certificate! You rock! =D

Here's the Wiki link, btw:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLIR